|1954 Autocar C-65
built by The White Motor Company, Autocar Division, Ardmore, Pa.
Date: June 10, 1954
Serial #: 40517
24,526 original, as of 7/1/2003
modified driver cab, 9:00x20 tires, TF5 Manual Transmission, 501 "Blue
Streak" twin head/dual ignition 6 cylinder engine, FT rear differential,
Westinghouse air brakes, Budd disc wheels, 250 gallon water tank, Hale three stage 750
g.p.m. centrifugal pump with push button primer.
A BRIEF HISTORY
On Thursday, November 7, 2002,
a piece of Gladwyne Fire Company history returned home. After extensive research and a
road trip to a small town outside of Quebec Canada, our 1954 Autocar was found and
repurchased from a private collector.
This particular vehicle served the Gladwyne, Pa.
community from 1954 until it was replaced with our Snorkel in 1978. It was sold to the
Richmond Fire Company in Quakertown, Pa. where it was in service for approx. five years
and was then sold to a private collector who moved the truck to Florida where it was
partially restored to its present condition. The truck was then sold at an auction and was
purchased by another collector who moved it to Canada where it has been since. In November
of 2000, the truck made its final trip back to its original owners where over time it will
be restored by our members to as original as possible.
This vehicle was built on June 10, 1954, and is the last known fire truck chassis to be
built at the Autocar plant in Ardmore, Pa. where the Ardmore West shopping center now
stands. The company moved to its new facilities in Exton, Pa., and the original factory,
while being demolished, was destroyed by fire on July 31,1956.
We are proud to have this piece of Fire Company history back home, and look forward to
having the restorations done and having the truck displayed at our fire station for all to